Which is better, air cooling spindle or water cooling? | FAQ
Friends who are considering to buy cnc router machines know that electric spindle is divided into two kinds: water cooled and air cooled. Many customers have question in their mind, what are the differences between water cooled spindle and air cooled spindles? Which one is more durable? Spindle as the most important parts of cnc engraving machine, which one is better, air cooling or water cooling spindle? As professional China cnc router manufacturer, EagleTec gives suggestions as follows.
First, look at the internal structure of them. Both are the same in the internal structure. The stator is turning around the coil. From the way of motor control, water cooling is almost all frequency control; air-cooled spindle is not the same, you can use frequency conversion and non frequency conversion control.
The difference between water-cooled spindle and air-cooled spindle
1. Water cooling spindle is using of water circulation to cool the heat generated by the spindle rotating at high speed. The cooling effect will be good because the temperature (usually tested) will not exceed 40 degrees after the water has been circulated; the air cooling spindle is cooled by a fan, and the cooling effect is definitely not as good as that of water cooling. Due to this point, water cooled spindle is more suitable to do the long time carving work than air-cooled spindle. But this is not mean that air cooled spindle cannot do carving jobs, it can do also, just its service life will get reduced after working for more than 4 hours continuously. For example, the carving jobs will take 6 hours to finish; machine with air cooled spindle have to work 4 hours first, then take a rest like 30 minutes, next start again to finish the carving. This way will have no harm on spindle. It will do harm to air cooled spindle to make it work for more than 4 hours continuously. While if same case to water cooled spindle, you can let it work for 6 hours without rest until finish the jobs.
2. Noisy. The water-cooled spindle is essentially noiseless, but the air-cooled spindle is relatively noisy.
3. Service life. If we did good maintenance on water cooling spindle like change water frequently or use industrial chiller for it, the service life of it will be much longer than air cooling spindle.
4. Precision. The axial and radial runout of the water-cooled spindle is basically below 0.003 mm, while the air-cooled spindle (domestic) is a little worse.
5. Easy to use aspect. Some friends feel water cooling spindle troublesome because it needs to connect water pump, it needs a bucket to fill water, it needs to connect with water pipe, and it needs to change water periodically, and it's easy to freeze in cold places. The air-cooled spindle will not have these troubles.
Therefore, when choosing the spindle, we should make comprehensive consideration of noise, life, accuracy, the use of convenience, as well as local climate and environment and other factors.
Whether water-cooled spindle or air-cooled spindle, maintenance is the best way to extend its service life. Here are some tips on how to maintain the spindle.
1. Please frequently clean the water leakage mouth with hooks, to prevent debris clogging water Leakage pipeline.
2. The air entering the electric spindle shall be dry and clean.
3. After spindle is removed from the cnc router machine, please use air gun to blow off the residual water in the cooling chamber of the electric spindle.
4. Spindle should be oil sealed if it is long time no use; when starting, except remove the rust on surface with gasoline, the following points should be done also.
1) Grease mist for 3-5 minutes, twist the shaft by hand and feel smooth or not.
2) Use megohmmeter to detect insulation, usually should be more than 10 megohm.
3) Turn on the power, first run 1 hour at 1/3 rated speed, if everything is ok, speed up 1/2 rated speed and run for 1 hour, if ok, and then run 1 hour at the full rated speed.
JINAN EAGLETEC CNC MACHINERY CO.,LTD.